Kona Kase is a subscription service designed to “fuel your active lifestyle.” Every month a “kase” of eight nutritional products is delivered to your door for you to try.
Month-to-month subscriptions cost $15 per month. Kona Kase also offers multi-month discounts for subscriptions of three, six or twelve months.
I got to try out July 2013’s Kona Kase. Unfortunately, I only received seven of the eight samples. One item that was listed in the product description was not included in my box, which I thought was super lame, especially since there was no explanation as to why it was missing.
|Inspirational quote from a fellow UCLA Bruin!|
I received two Caveman Cookies, and they weren’t my favorite. I didn’t like the taste or consistency of the cookies.
I really liked the bar. I think the thing I liked the most was the taste from the raw honey they use. I am assuming that is the taste that is shining through. I also like that it only contains six ingredients.
3. Barbara Llewellyn Granola – “Enjoy artisan granola at its best from the kitchen of award-winning California caterer, Barbara Llewellyn. Rolled oats, sliced almonds, sesame and pumpkin seeds, honey sweetened and spiced for the perfect breakfast treat or snack to keep you going throughout the day, on the trail or at the office.”
Sounds good, right? Alas, this was the item that was missing from my box so I was not able to try it.
4. Body Glove Surge Gel – “NEW Body Glove SURGE is an energy gel that delivers rapid and sustained natural energy and is incredibly easy to use whether you’re in the water, on a bike, or running. Each gel contains 150mg of caffeine.“
This is the only item from my box that hasn’t been consumed yet. I use similar types of energy gels pretty often, so I am looking forward to trying this one out soon.
5. Perky Jerky – “Perky Jerky is an all natural, premium jerky that is unlike any other! It’s made with a seven ingredient marinade, which includes Guarana. It is low fat, low carb, and high protein without any preservatives, nitrites or added MSG. It’s great for a quick pre-game boost or a mid-mountain hike snack. Satisfying and portable, it’s the perfect fuel to do whatever it is that you do.”
This was my favorite item from the box. I love beef jerky, but I really liked the flavor of Perky Jerky. I will definitely be purchasing more of this!
6. Enjoy Life – “Salty, sweet and crunchy, Enjoy Life’s Seed & Fruit mix is great for on the trail or on the go! This portable protein-packed snack features a blend of sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and dried fruit! Enjoy Life products are always Gluten Free and free from the top 8 allergens. The Seed & Fruit Mix is also verified Non-GMO and Vegan!”
I wasn’t a fan of this item. I found it to be pretty bland.
This was my second favorite item. I also use energy chews on a regular basis as fuel on long runs. I actually used these chews during the Disneyland Half Marathon. I loved the citrus flavor and how easy they are to chew. I could pop one in my mouth and pretty much just keep going.
8. Health Warrior – “Health Warrior Chia Bars are the best way to “Chia” on-the-go. The ultimate superfood, Chia has more omega-3’s than salmon, more fiber than oatmeal and loaded with antioxidants and plant-based protein. Each bar has 100 calories, and just 5g of sugar, perfect for a snack or pre-workout energy boost.”
The Chia Bar I received was the coconut bar and I pretty much hate anything coconut flavored, except for pina coladas for some reason. Raisin Bread, on the other hand, loves coconut, so he had the pleasure of trying the bar. He also loves chia, so the bar had two things he loves. He gave me his opinion of the bar after he ate it and said he enjoyed it.
What’s my take? Despite missing an item from my box, overall, I thought my Kona Kase was pretty good. I liked most of the items I tried from the box. I also didn’t mention that if there are items that you really like, there is usually a discount code for you to use to purchase more, which I think is great. I love trying new nutritional foods and Kona Kase provides a great service that allows you to do just that.
Disclosure: Due to my affiliation with Fit Approach, I received a complimentary month of Kona Kase. No compensation was received. All opinions are my own. Read my full disclosure here.